Mahatma Gandhi said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” We’ve reached a crossroads as I walk with my potential life partner. I found inspiration in Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations Podcast video with A.R. Bernard. The number one complaint women have about men? They don’t listen. Bernard shared wisdom about what women look for in men:
- Maturity: Accept personal responsibility for our words, thoughts, motives, actions, and attitudes.
- Decisiveness: Make decisions confidently and quickly based on value systems and principles.
- Strength of character: Be courageous to live out your convictions, regardless of the crowd.
The pastor said, “Whatever you want people to become, you must become first.” This reminded me of Matthew 7:3 and led me to reflect on my relationships and industry. I ask myself:
- Am I leading by example for clients and peers?
- Am I being mature and professional?
- Do I understand my value system for making decisions?
- Am I firm in my strength of character when challenged by those who disagree?
- Can I treat people with respect, even when we agree to disagree?
- Can I communicate my boundaries and accept others for who they are?
- Can I accept responsibility for how much time I give to those who violate my boundaries?
Let me know your thoughts in the comments.